Steel Production in Detroit, MI
- Blast furnace
- Basic oxygen furnaces
- Ladle metallurgy furnaces
- RH vacuum degasser
- Slab casters
- Hot strip mill
- Pickling line tandem cold mill
- Batch annealing shops
- Temper mill
- Hot Dipped galvanizing line
Carbon steels from Dearborn Works include:
- Hot and Cold Rolled carbon steels that provide excellent press formability, surface finish, flatness and thickness tolerances and meet the strictest chemistry requirements in the market today.
- Hot Dip Galvanized ZINCGRIP? products provide a tight metallurgical bond between the coating and substrate, offering the strength and formability of steel plus the corrosion protection of zinc. Available in both exposed and unexposed quality.
- Hot Dip Galvannealed ZINCGRIP GA steel products are continuously coated on both sides with zinc, then induction heated to alloy the zinc with the substrate, to create a zinc-iron alloy coating.
- Advanced High Strength Steels (AHSS) are now being produced, such as the NEXMET? family of products using innovative alloy design and new process control technology.
Dearborn Works has earned IATF 16949, ISO-9001 and Ford Q1 certification. The facility completed a large-scale modernization campaign in 2007 and 2011. During the campaign, more than $1.2 billion was invested in new state-of-the-art equipment and various operational improvements. Some of the major upgrades at Dearborn Works include a new blast furnace, a new five-stand, six-high, 72" tandem coil mill linked to a pickle line and a new exposed hot-dipped galvanizing line focused on automotive and other original equipment manufacturer (OEM) needs. In 2016, a multi million dollar investment was made to the hot-dipped galvanized line to produce AHSS, including our NEXMET? family of steels.?